For everyone a particular dish hold some sort of memory. A certain food holds a special place in our hearts, every bite of said meal takes us back to a place and time that was inportant to us.
Often, when we’re in the need of something happy, we reach for those foods to take us back to those moments. Foods that fill us with a sense of comfort.
Persoanaly, there’s nothing a good grilled cheese sandwich can’t fix for me. Perfectly toasted whole grain bread, good creamy cheese and se good sharp cheese, a hit of heat from the chilly flakes and a touch of butter to bring everything together.
Sandwiches make me think of picnics in the sun, road trips and early mornings with coffee and the newspaper. There’s this irreplaceable nostalgia to a goof grilled cheese and so much lies in its construction.
Here’s how to build a better sandwich:
1. Bread – the good bread is the base to great sandwich. No cheese and no amount of butter can fix stale, dry bread. Pick a good sturdy loaf, preferably whole grain, the nuttiness pairs great with whole grain mustard!
2. Cheese – I like using one cheesy cheesy like mozerella, and one sharp cheese, usually a blue cheese. Salty goats also works really well.
3. Whole grain mustard – a teaspoon of this works wonders.
4. Add ins – sometimes, I like adding fried up bacon rashers, ham, roasted tomatoes or even, arugula for some pepperiness.
5. Butter – butter thy bread.
It will make a difference.
There’s nothing a cheesy, delicious sandwich can’t fix. Every bite takes me to my happy place, and hopefully, this sandwich will help you find yours.