Streusel is such a funny word. Stroosil.
No, stop it. Quit making a fool of yourself.
Yes, I’m done having a conversation with myself
Anyway, my very apt title perfectly sums up everything this cake will do for you. Basically it solves problems.
I made this a say before my psychology assignment was due. My whole day went a little like this:
Me: Oh look! I have three hundred thousand pages to write
My Brain: great lets bake a cake.
(three hours later)
My Brain: wow great cake Amani. You’re so talented
Me: wow I have so much to do. So, I’ll just lie on the floor for a few hours and do nothing
Brain: and eat cake
Me: and eat cake.
The next day, my assignment was magically complete and pigs began to fly.
No, but you should make this cake.
And do all your work.
Apple-Hazelnut Cake with Cinnamon–Hazelnut Streusel
3-4 apples peeled and cubed
1 tsp ground cinnamon
100g butter, softened
1 cup / 200g sugar, plus a little more for sprinkling
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup milk
¼ cup chopped, lightly toasted hazelnuts
For the streusel:
½ cup oats
2 tbsp hazelnuts, toasted
½ tsp ground cinnamon
4 tbsp cold butter
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF/190ºC. Grease and flour a baking pan.
- In a bowl, using a stand mixer or an electric mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla, followed by the egg. Mixing them in one at a time, until the mixture is soft and fluffy.
- Whisk together the flour and baking powder and fold it into the egg and butter mixture. Finally, stir in the milk and form a batter.
- Fold in the apples and hazelnuts.
- Pour into the prepared tin
- Top with streusel and bake for 30-40 minutes or till a skewer inserted through the center comes out clean.
Put everything except the milk and butter in the bowl. Now add the butter and work through it till only pea sized lumps remain. Add the milk ONLY if needed.